Advertisements
RSS Feed

Tag Archives: Annie Sloan

Painted Architectural Pediment

Posted on

I have been looking for an old architectural pediment to hang over the bookcases in my “dining room turned office“.  I found this piece at an antique store. I have no idea what it was in its previous life.  But that’s okay… it was only $10.00 and just what I was looking for. 😀

I didn’t paint it right away.  I don’t know if you know this about me, but I tend to change my mind a lot once in a while.  It sat for some time before I decided to go ahead and paint it.  You just never know when another bright idea will pop in your head.  I had to be sure.

The BEFORE

Before painting, I gave the piece a light sanding, then wiped it down.

I used two coats of Annie Sloan “Old White” chalk paint.

After the paint dried, I sanded the entire piece again, concentrating more on the edges for a distressed, aged look.

I love how easy Annie Sloan chalk paint is to sand!  That’s it.  It literally took only a couple of hours to complete.  I’m not a patient painter, so there are no hours or days between paint coats for this girl.  If it feels dry and it needs another coat, then it gets another coat. If the second coat feels dry, and it needs to be sanded, then it gets sanded.  Yes I am a DIY Rebel. 😉

Now it’s hanging above the bookcases in my “Dining Room turned Library“.

Finding a “one of a kind” makes antiquing and thrifting so much fun!

This Loon has been in the family for almost 100 years. My daughter admired it at my in-laws house in New Hampshire. Somehow, it managed the long trek to my house where it now resides for all to see. Obviously I need to teach my daughter to admire a 100-year-old piece of furniture, not a century old bird! I will work on that! 😉

Linking to: House on the Way mop it up mondays {nifty button}

Advertisements

Arm Chair Redo

Posted on

Recovering an Arm Chair

Woohoo!  Finally finished one of the projects on my  “almost done” list! 

This is the arm chair I bought at the antique show a couple of weeks ago.  It was in good shape, but it needed a paint redo to freshen it up and it definitely new fabric.   

Chair before

New fabric

It took me five fabric stores before I found the perfect fabric.  It’s hard to shop for something you can only see in your head!  ha!

Cream chalk paint

I bought a quart of Annie Sloan chalk paint.  I have been hearing and reading about it a lot lately.  It’s suppose to cover furniture without prep work.  That’s all I needed to hear!   

Distressed paint

After two coats of paint (and it dries really fast!)  I sanded the edges a bit for a distressed finish.  I’m a novice at this, so I’m just winging it here.  The paint calls for a wax finish.  I wanted to buy clear wax but after searching the world over (a little exaggeration), I settled for a light “natural” wax.  It worked, but I would have preferred clear.  I looked up instructions for using Annie Sloan chalk paint and chuckled at the very easy and straight to the point directions…

The steps in brief
“Paint, paint, wax, wipe. Sand then wax then wipe (dark wax at this point with the clear wax).  Finally polish the piece the next day for a mellow sheen.”  How’s that for simple???  Ha!

covering old fabrics

Before I started recovering the chair, I had to take off the double weld trim.  (Not shown, it’s in the garbage.)  It was done in the same material as the rest of the chair.  I didn’t take the original fabric off the chair before recovering because it’s attached with a million staples.  After pulling off the trim, I had enough of pliers!  I used the original fabric as a guide for doing the corners and rounded edges. 

Getting there!

I used a staple gun to attach the fabric to the chair.  Some places I used a little hot glue when I ran out of hands to hold everything.

Double cording

Here is how the double weld cording looks on the chair.  I looked at quite a few fabric stores for ready-made trim to use around the edges.  It never occurred to me to put double weld cording back on the chair.  I didn’t know how and it looked complicated.  NOT SO!  Oh my gosh!  It was so easy and soooo cheap to do.  I had left over fabric and spend $10.00 on the cord.  Ready made trim would have cost me around $30.00.  I went to google for directions and this is the blog I used for directions… Centsational Girl.

Gluing trim

Spatula

The back of the chair just had fabric on it.  It was pushed up into the frame of the chair.  I folded over the edge of the fabric and glued it on.  I used  a spatula to stuff it in the frame.  Spatulas aren’t just for cooking, ya know!

Done

Ta Da!  It’s finished.  Not too bad for a fly by the seat of your pants kind of girl!

%d bloggers like this: