My French doors painting project is finished. For the most part. I think.
These doors gave me grief. And I can’t look at them too hard or I will go crazy. But overall, I love the color and the look. It was hard getting the dark paint close enough to the glass to cover all the white. But that’s the perfectionist in me. We don’t always get along. : )
At first my plan was to paint just the outside of the doors. After doing that, I didn’t like the look of seeing white paint from the other side. The doors came down so I could paint all sides. I was alone when I took the doors down. My Blogging for Dummies book came in handy to support the door while I unscrewed the hinges. HA! Who’s the dummy now?? : )
Obviously the gold hinges had to go. I spray painted them with Rustoleum Oil Rubbed Bronze. I also painted the screws and door knobs. I haven’t used paint of any kind on door knobs before, but since these doors just push open instead of turn, I thought they would be a good candidate to give the spray paint a try.
I did not tape the other side of the doors before I painted. When I took off the tape on the front side, I still needed to use a glass scraper to remove paint on the glass. Since taping every piece of glass took forever, why bother to do it again? Removing the paint off the glass was easy. Removing it without taking the paint off the side of the wood where it meets the glass was not! This is what made me crazy. I can’t tell you how many times I repainted and scraped paint. The key is patience. Let the paint dry for hours before you scrap the glass. And don’t try to get so close to the wood, or you will be repeating the process again. Or that could just be me. The perfectionist in me won’t let me stop until it’s perfect. She get’s on my last nerve! : )
Overall, I love the way they look. Not one of my favorite projects to do though. I didn’t anticipate the doors would be so hard to paint. Painting French doors requires patience and time. My doors have beveled trim on the glass, and covering bright white with a dark color was challenging. Getting in all the nooks without the paint looking gooey and drippy was not fun. But if you give this a try, I would love to hear how you did and how the doors turned out. : )